NEXT LEVEL PRAYING
The Keys to Effective Intercession
by Michael Catt
Three reasons you should pray:
1) Because you want to.
2) Because we’re told to pray.
3) Because we need to.
I. THE LAWS OF PRAYER
1) My PERSONAL SPIRITUAL LIFE will never rise to stay above the level of my prayer life.
2) My CHURCH’S EFFECTIVENESS will never rise above the level of our CORPORATE praying.
3) My UNDERSTANDING of prayer will determine my commitment to prayer.
4) The only way to learn to pray is to PRAY.
When should I pray?
• REGULARLY (Daniel 6:10)
• SPONTANEOUSLY (Nehemiah 2:4)
• CONTINUALLY (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
II. THE PRINCIPLES OF INTERCESSORY PRAYER
A) It's the CRYING NEED of the day. (Isaiah 59:14)
B) JESUS intercedes for us. (Hebrews 5:7)
C) The HOLY SPIRIT intercedes for us.
• His intercession is PERSONAL.
• His intercession is PURPOSEFUL.
• His intercession is according TO THE WILL OF GOD.
D) WE intercede for others.
1) Ask. (1 John 3:22, 23)
2) Ask in the WILL OF GOD. (1 John 5:14, 15)
3) Ask in the NAME OF CHRIST. (John 14:13, 15)
4) Ask in FAITH. (Hebrews 11:6)
5) Ask SPECICALLY. (Luke 11:11, 12)
6) Ask with a spirit of GRATITUDE. (Ephesians 5:20)
III. THE KEYS TO SPECIFIC INTERCESSION
A) For the lost and backslidden:
CONVICT them of sin (John 16:8)
REVEAL to them their need of Christ
OPEN their eyes to spiritual reality (Eph. 1:18; 2 Cor. 4:4)
DRAW them to Yourself in undeniable ways (John 6:44)
BIND the enemy (Matthew 12:19)
PRAY for grace and mercy to surround them
ASK God to help you show Christ to them and share the gospel with them
ASK GOD TO SEND people into their lives to be witnesses
B) For pastors and spiritual leaders:
• An overwhelming sense of Your presence
• A desire for holiness
• A zeal and love for Jesus
• The power of the Holy Spirit
• Clear discernment of God's will
• A wall of protection from Satan's influence
• A wall of protection for their marriage and family
• Fruitfulness in ministry
• Pure motives
C) For your church:
• A powerful move of God in every service
• The lost to be saved in every service
• The manifest presence of God in every service
• Unity and love
• God's protection
• Clear vision and the will to carry it out
• The financial needs of the church
• Laborers to serve
• A powerful spirit of worship, prayer, and holiness to permeate the church.
D) Prayers for revival and awakening:
• Deep conviction of sin, brokenness, and our need for genuine repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10)
• Spiritual renewal among spiritual leaders (Ephesians 6:14-20)
• Spiritual hunger in God's people (Philippians 2:13)
• Increased numbers of intercessors (Isaiah 59:16)
• Unity within and among churches across denominational lines (John 13:35)
• A passion for the lost (Romans 9:1-3)
• A passion for missions and church planting. (Matthew 28:19)
• God to raise up thousands who will answer the call into ministry (Matthew 9:37)
• God will pour out His Spirit and purify our motives as we pray for revival (James 4:2; Hosea 10:12)
• God to pour out His convicting Spirit on communities of cultural influence (entertainment, education, politics, media, journalists, talk show hosts, comedians, activist groups, etc.) (1 Timothy 2:1, 2)
• God to pour out His Spirit like He did in the Great Awakenings and in Wales in 1904 (Mark 11:22-24; John 14:13, 14)