April 23, 2017 AM
Dr. Michael Catt – 1784
#6 in series
THE JESUS GENERATION
This Is No Time for a Christian Subculture
The Oxford English Dictionary defines a subculture as "a cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interests at variance with those of the larger culture."
"The Christian subculture is not a location or a community as much as it is a mindset – a way of thinking. The thinking goes like this: The larger culture is full of sex and drugs, violence and mayhem, godlessness and rebellion. In short, the world is not a place that is conducive to building a life of faith and morality. It is driven by an anti-Christian worldview that controls the major influences in popular culture, including music, movies, television, books, magazines, video games, amusement parks, Web sites, and other forms of culture."
According to an article in USA Today, "Beyond books, Bibles and music, they sell clothes art, jewelry, toys, lap rugs and birdhouses – almost anything to support, proclaim, enhance, deepen or simply decorate beliefs."
I. GO BACK TO THE EMPTY TOMB
II. MOVE FORWARD FROM THE EMPTY TOMB
What does this mean?
1) Jesus is not just a __, He's the __ of history.
2) Jesus is not a __, but a __.
3) The Jesus generation witnesses of a __
4) In Christianity, faith is a __.
5) Jesus doesn't __; we can't __.
III. MOVE FORWARD TO TODAY
We are the Jesus Generation for this time in church history. Jesus didn't establish His church to be a social club, but an army on the march. We are to be about His business. That means the church matters. It means that being a part of the church matters.
• The church is to be a __ of resurrection power.
• The church is to preach the gospel __.
• It is the duty of every Christian to __.
• The church is in the __.
• The church is to be a __.
• The church operates by His power __.
• The church is you and me in this world as the __.