June 18, 2017 PM
Dr. Michael Catt – 1792
#1 in series
Q&A: PARENTING ON PURPOSE
Who Is God and Why Is There Evil in the World?
I. LAYING THE FOUNDATION: WHY PARENTS NEED TO BE PREPARED
"Now this is the commandment, the statutes and the judgments which the Lord your God has commanded me to teach you, that you might do them in the land where you are going over to possess it, so that you and your son and your grandson might fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged.” – Deuteronomy 6:1, 2
7 Reasons Why This Series Is Important:
II. WHO IS GOD?
Does every religion believe the same thing?
• Judaism says there is one God, and the way to him is to follow the Ten Commandments.
• Islam says there is one God, and the way to him is to obey Muhammad and obey the Koran’s teachings.
• Hinduism says there is a God, but we have to go through reincarnations to get to him – from sub-human form to human form to improve the soul.
• Buddhism says there is no God.
• Polytheism says there are many gods. This dates back to the time of Abraham. The Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks were all in this camp.
• Pantheism says that God is nature and nature is God. No personal God exists.
• Deism says that an extremely intelligent and powerful being created the universe, but this being no longer has any contact with the universe, nor does this being respond to the prayers and concerns of people.
• Christianity says there is one God. Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and He is the way to God.
The Bible Tells Us:
III. WHY IS THERE EVIL IN THE WORLD?
A) All evil can be traced back to Adam and Eve and their sin in the garden.
B) God did not leave Adam and Eve without hope.
IV. WHY IS THERE SUFFERING IN THE WORLD?
“Scientists believe that hurricanes and tropical storms help distribute the earth’s heat. Violent weather disruptions help balance temperatures between the earth’s poles. Severe storms bring copious amounts of rain, which are a natural part of the earth’s water cycle. Earthquakes on the ocean floor can cause catastrophic waves. But the waves result in gases being released into the earth’s atmosphere, which enhances plant growth. Lightning often causes fires that damage property and lead to loss of life. But lightning also releases nitrogen into the atmosphere, which is needed by plants and foliage.” – Alex McFarland
V. HOW CAN WE KNOW GOD LOVES US?
A. God’s Son shows us His love. B. The Bible is the story of His love for us.
A. God’s Son shows us His love.
B. The Bible is the story of His love for us.