October 22, 2017 AM
Dr. Michael Catt - 1810
#3 in series
From Stress to Rest
I. THE VALUE OF HARD WORK
“The maid who sweeps her kitchen is doing the will of God just as much as the monk who prays – not because she may sing a Christian hymn as she sweeps but because God loves clean floors.” – Martin Luther
Suggestions About Work to Relieve Some Stress:
1) Make what you do vocationally __.
2) Next time you are stressed about work, ask God __ __.
3) Pray for those __.
4) Make a list of the __.
II. THE VALUE OF A RENEWED MIND
Witold Rybczynski, a cultural historian talks about “waiting for the weekend, when we see work as only an extended interlude between our real lives.” He says, “Leisure has become the despot (dictator) of our age, enslaving us and exhausting us, demanding more from us than it gives.”
In Greek, there are two words for “time”:
III. THE VALUE OF REMEMBERING
• Goes back to God as Creator
• Goes back to Eden
• Is grounded in deliverance from bondage in Egypt
• Remembers where you’ve come from and what you’ve been saved out of
• Looks back