November 08, 2020 PM
Dr. Michael Catt
#1996 (#1 in series)
POWERFUL PROVERBS IN A PANDEMIC: Wash Your Mouth
The Book of Proverbs is filled with practical applications of truth. Wisdom is the most important thing you can give to someone.
In the first few verses of Proverbs 1, we see three key words regarding wisdom:
1) It comes from __ or training in character.
2) Wisdom gives us __ — the difference between right/wrong, good/evil, truth/deception.
3) Wisdom is revealed in __, which is the fruit of discipline and leads to maturity.
I. THE POWER OF WORDS
II. THE PROBLEM WITH WORDS
1) Deceptive flattery (26:28)
2) Slander (10:18)
III. BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES RELATED TO OUR WORDS
“Our words are a reflection of what we are. Our careless, rebellious, critical, and blasphemous words keep us from experiencing God’s power in our lives. When he touches our hearts, our words will change, because we will change.” – Jimmy Draper
“God cannot bless us unless He has us. When we try to keep within us an area that is our own, we try to keep an area of death! Therefore, in love, God claims all. There’s no bargaining with Him.” – C. S. Lewis
1) Am I resolved to give __? (10:32; 15:7, 22; 20:18)
2) Am I resolved to __ that which is not of God and __ others to follow God’s plan? (15:5, 31, 32; 27:6; 28:2)
3) Am I resolved to find ways to __ others? (15:23, 30; 16:24)
4) Am I resolved to use my mouth to __? (10:11, 20, 21; 11:30; 18:4; 24:11, 12)