June 12, 2022 PM
(#23 in series)
Galatians: One or the Other
There are three major sections in the book:
- In chapters 1–2, the gospel of grace is __.
- In chapters 3–4, the gospel of grace is explained.
- In chapters 5–6, the gospel of grace is __.
God’s promises are often on the other side of __.
Do not allow __ to compound your problems!
__ and impatience will lead you to make decisions that you would not normally make.
Historically, rabbis have taught that Scripture had four meanings:
1) Peshat is the simple or __ meaning.
2) Remaz is the suggested meaning.
3) Derush is the meaning __ by investigation.
4) Sod is the allegorical meaning.
Through allegory, Paul presents two sons, from two different women, born by two different means, representing two different covenants, and resulting in two different lives.
- Ishmael was born by __ means; Isaac was born by __ means.
- Ishmael represents human works (man's best effort); Isaac represents God's work (divine action).
- Ishmael was the son of the flesh; Isaac was the son of promise.
- Ishmael was born to a __ woman; Isaac was born to a __ woman.
- Ishmael had no rights to the inheritance; Isaac had rights to the inheritance.
- Ishmael represents law and slavery; Isaac represents grace and freedom.
- Ishmael represents __ and separation; Isaac represents __ and relationship.