October 30, 2022 AM
(#3 in series)
Issues of the Heart: Envy, Jealousy, and Covetousness
The formula for “looking” like a good Christian:
Avoid huge public __ + do good __ things = looking like a good Christian
I'm burdened about “respectable sins” for many reasons…
- The American church culture has made it __ for immature Christians to never grow up.
- The American church culture is producing more “unintended __ ” than devoted disciples.
- The American church culture has elevated “__” as “__ instead of pointing to Scripture as the standard.
“For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.” – James 3:16
“Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.” – Romans 13:13-14
“Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these…” – Galatians 5:19-21a
What's the difference between these words?
- Covetousness speaks of __ after or longing for something with great desire.
- Envy wants what __ to someone else.
- Jealousy centers around a __ and unhealthy fear of losing what we have.
What are some biblical steps to freedom?
1) Recognize __ as sin.
2) __ of sin often and quickly.
3) __ to Jesus (put on Christ).
4) Remember to live with __ and gratitude.
For additional resources that address heart issues, check out www.ChristLifeResources.com