November 13, 2022 AM
(#5 in series)
Issues of the Heart: Judgmentalism and a Critical Spirit
Ask God, “Where in my life is judgmentalism or a critical spirit destroying relationships, distorting truth, fostering pride, and dishonoring God?”
Big Idea: Discern __, judge __!
What's the difference between discernment and judgmentalism?
- Discernment does not __ everything. (1 John 4:1)
- Discernment approves what is excellent and leads to __ and righteousness. (Philippians 1:9-10)
- Discernment is developed through constant __. (Hebrews 5:14)
- Discernment __ everything and holds onto what is good. (1 Thessalonians 5:21)
- Judgmentalism is birthed in __. (John 7:18-19)
- Judgmentalism is ripe with __. (John 7:21-23; Matthew 7:1-5)
- Judgmentalism looks on the __ (assesses without all the facts). (John 7:24)
- Judgmentalism condemns __. (Romans 2:1)
Thoughts of Self-Reflection
- How can I __ judgmentalism and a critical spirit?
What gets under my skin? Who do I not like, and what bothers me? Where can I recognize a pattern of repeated anger, frustration, and agitation? Where am I quickly forming opinions? Where am I so convinced that I'm right that I'm not willing to wait for the facts? Where does my anger rise when challenged? List what God shares.
- How can I walk in truth and __?
Am I spending time with God in His Word—daily? Am I taking time to ask God to reveal any sin in my life? Am I living in a state of repentance? Have I taken the time to study both sides, learn key facts, and understand biblical truth in context? Do I have a heart to learn, or have I already made up my mind? If truth and the leading of the Holy Spirit revealed that I was wrong, would I repent of my wrongs and seek forgiveness from others?
- How do I develop __ and search in humility?
Do I think I've figured it out (pride), or am I leaving room for God to correct me (humility)? Am I seeking a biblical understanding of a topic? When I enter a conversation, do I take the humble path of seeking to understand, giving the benefit of the doubt, or recognizing that I may be wrong? Instead of looking for everything that's wrong, have I stopped and asked God to show me what's right in my areas of frustration?
For additional resources that address heart issues, check out www.ChristLifeResources.com.