June 04, 2023 AM
(#14 in series)
Equipped: Praying for Your Future Spouse
What characteristics should you look for? How specific should you be in your prayers? What are some biblical principles to remember?
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” – Philippians 4:6
“You do not have because you do not ask.” – James 4:2b
Ephesians 5:22-33 addresses husbands and wives, roles and responsibilities, and God’s desire for interactions within the marriage relationship. If you want to be specific in your prayers for a future spouse, this is a good section to walk through and pinpoint key pieces for prayer.
Key Truth: When praying for a future spouse, pray God’s __ before your __.
As you build out your prayer points for a future spouse, allow these pieces to help shape the process even more.
• Allow your personal circumstances to add __ to your prayers.
• Keep a prayer journal and __ what God is teaching you.
• Pray that God __ the person (today) who will become your spouse (tomorrow).
• Pray that __ or __ do not leave you with regrets. Impatience to get married can cause you to rush decisions and overlook warning signs. Apathy about getting married can cause you to do nothing because you think there’s plenty of time.
• Don’t just __ these things for your future spouse; __ these things as a future spouse.
Conclusion: Pray God’s Word before your wishes. Be fervent in your prayers. Start early and keep consistent in your prayers.