August 06, 2023 AM
(#16 in series)
Undivided: More Than Words, Part 1
Review of James 1-2:
- The book of James confronts the inconsistent behavior of Christians and shows how wisdom and spiritual maturity are essential for right living.
- The challenge is that spiritual maturity and wisdom are developed in the context of trials.
- God’s work IN us is never intended to stay WITH us. At some point, personal goes public. God will live His will, His mission, and His desires through us BEFORE OTHERS. When that happens, what He did FOR us (at salvation) and what He’s doing IN us (by sanctification) will be foundational for what He does THROUGH us (in service).
- James knows that lack of integrity in our character and open hypocrisy in our lives will adversely impact our gospel witness. To effectively live on mission with God, the world needs to see something different and desirable in believers.
The __ is linked to the __.
Jesus said, “Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.” (Matthew 12:34)
BIG TRUTH: What we say reveals __ we are, the direction we take, the __ we make, the one we trust, and the __ of our witness.
The tongue only __ what the heart __.
Who you __ will inevitably be disclosed by what you __.
- Teachers of Scripture bear a greater __ and will receive a stricter __. (v. 1)
“Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment.”